By- Katarina Ohnmacht
With the Cold Season approaching(sick daze galore) and the fact that I just got over one last week, I felt compelled to give you some information to help you with this pesky nuisance.
You know the feeling… scratchy throat, body aches, and that one sneeze that tells all; you’re heading to full blown “Cold Town.” Now, we all know there is no cure for the common cold, but what if there are some things we can add to our daily routines, and a little something extra for when we feel a cold coming on?
The good news: there is! And it doesn’t involve over the counter pills or syrups that taste terrible and are going to knock you out. So, what’s the secret?
Yup, that’s right. Good ol’ shrooms. Now don’t get too excited… you’re not going to be hanging out with Alice down in the rabbit hole if you consume these. But there’s a really good chance you are going to feel better than you ever have before.
So, let us start with the basics… what do people always tell you when you feel yourself getting sick or are already sick?
- Get plenty of Rest
- Antioxidants and Vitamins are a must
- Drink lots of Fluids
Okay, so, Kat… tell me exactly how can mushrooms help with getting sick?
Well, mushrooms have enormous amounts of health benefits and there is no way I could cover each detail in a blog post. Additionally, the fungi kingdom still has much to be explored. But what I can give you is a brief overview of the mushrooms that have contributed to my overall health and well being, as well as my go-to shrooms from last week when I was battling a cold.
Favorites for Cold Season:
- Chaga (for overall health): The King of Mushrooms, the antioxidant powerhouse
- Reishi (for rest and recovery): The Queen of Mushrooms, the chillest fungi you’ve ever met
- Honorable Mushie-Mentions:
- Cordyceps (for energy): Need a boost? Call cordyceps
- Lion’s Mane (for focus): Accentuate the Mane, Concentrate the Brain
- Enoki (for joint pain and a tasty addition to any meal): Packed with vitamins and minerals, they are the cutest and sassiest of all
- Chaga is overflowing with antioxidants and the perfect thing to help you get through your cold. I double or triple my daily dose of chaga whenever I am trying to cut a cold short.
- Reishi is an amazing healer and insanely beneficial for getting adequate rest & recovery. It’s just what you need when you’re feeling down for the count.
Welcome to… The Sick Daze Ritual:
Step One: Hot Shower
Step Two: Chaga Tea
Step Three: Work (if you must, if not, sleep!), Chaga & Reishi Tea
Step Four: Rest & Sleep
Step Five: Chaga & Reishi Tea
Step Six: Rest
Step Seven: Sleep
Step Eight: Repeat!
See a pattern?
Listen To Your Body
The point in all of this information is to listen to your body and give it what it needs! Take a day off if you need to so you can allow your body to recover. Don’t put it through extra stress of working while you’re sick. Our bodies do so much for us that we don’t even realize. When your body is fighting a cold it doesn’t make sense to make its job harder by forcing it to do more while it should be doing less. If you do that, you’ll just stay sick longer. Get your rest, get your antioxidants and vitamins, and hydrate!
Help your body heal… and get shroomin’!
Disclaimer: I am not a mycologist. All research (reading materials and personal experiments) conducted has been done by my own accord. Please be safe and educate yourself on the fungi kingdom.
For More Information Check Out:
Healing Mushrooms: A Practical and Culinary Guide to Using Mushrooms for Whole Body Health – by Tero Isokauppila
I have no affiliation with Four Sigma-tic other than that I love their products. They offer an approachable, easy, tasty way for people to experience the benefits of mushrooms. Check em’ out!
“Nature alone is antique, and the oldest art a mushroom.” – Thomas Carlyle
By- Katarina Ohnmacht
Follow @readyaction.blog on Instagram and Twitter for updates and more!
Email- email@example.com to get your story featured on ReadyAction